Social Policy & Administration branding banner

Call for paper proposals: Regional Issue of Social Policy & Administration on North America

Social Policy & Administration invites submissions for a special regional issue focusing on recent social policy developments in North America. This regional issue is scheduled to be published in November 2020.

The last decade has combined gradual macro-economic recovery from the financial crisis of 2008 with stable rates of social spending and continued increases in income concentration at the very top of the income distribution curve. Preceding these economic developments in the dominant countries in the region (Canada and the United States) were neo-liberal reforms to social assistance which, among other things, decentralized decision-making about social assistance to subnational units, and sought to reduce the uptake of social assistance benefits. The last decade has also seen conditional cash transfers become the major form of social assistance in Mexico and the Caribbean.

We welcome contributions to this regional issue of Social Policy & Administration from a wide variety of perspectives and programs, and are especially interested in papers that speak to the international audience of the journal. We also welcome systematic comparisons across sub-national contexts within the region, e.g., among US states, Mexican states or Canadian provinces, or between these states and provinces.  While we expect the bulk of the papers in the issue will deal with social policy in the United States, Mexico and Canada, we also welcome papers focusing on smaller countries in the Caribbean. (Developments in other countries geographically in North American are traditionally grouped with the Latin American countries.)

Abstracts for proposed papers (250 words maximum, submitted to the editors):   1 May 2019

Editor requests for full research papers:                                                 1 June 2019

Deadline for full papers (6-8000 words) for review:           1 October 2019

Deadline for revised papers:                                                        1 March 2020

Please submit abstracts to Lyle Scruggs ([log in to unmask]), Bent Greve ([log in to unmask]), and Helen Hancock ([log in to unmask]).

General author guidelines for submissions to the journal can be found at:  https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/page/journal/14679515/homepage/forauthors.html

Bent Greve

Professor in Social Science

University of Roskilde Denmark

0045 46742585 or 0045 22958814

To unsubscribe from the EUROPEAN-SOCIAL-POLICY list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=EUROPEAN-SOCIAL-POLICY&A=1