A copy of Temi's book has been ordered for Senate House Library in London - I look forward to reading it, though it isn't on the shelves yet!  You do have to be a member of the libary to access material, but it is possible to get a day pass if you do not have a university affiliation.

https://www.senatehouselibrary.ac.uk/membership

caroline

From: The Black and Asian Studies Association <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Temi Odumosu <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2018 8:00:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: FW: My review of Temi Odumosu, BLACK JOKES, WHITE HUMOUR: AFRICANS IN ENGLISH CARICATURE, 1769–1819,

Dear BASA Peers,

Firstly, I want to thank Miranda for a very supportive review and for spending proper time with the book.Your comments and critique are really useful and will help with future work.

I am, however, disappointed that the discussion is now (uncharacteristically) focused on the cost of the book and not on content. As Miranda has noted high book prices are part of the academic situation these days. First monographs in Art History, specifically, are produced as a contribution to the field, and can be annoyingly expensive. But I am working on ways for the content to travel further. I also welcome suggestions for ways to do this.

Broadening access to knowledge is central to my practice. As some will recall, in 2005, I was one of several people who used the internet to reach out on these topics in the early days (before social media), alongside Every generation media, Black History Online, Positive Steps and so on. Anyone who knows my current work and teaching philosophy can attest that I certainly do not work in an academic silo.

I am very proud of the book project. I hope it will be of service to students and scholars alike, and lead to more possibilities for collaboration.

With Best Wishes,
Temi