Hi all,

Does anyone oversee the licensing/ copyright for showing DVDs/streaming in their institutions? I am new to copyright and have been asked if it is legal to show films to groups of students – this would be a personal copy of a DVD brought in by staff or students. It seems such a grey area – I know everyone does it, but my first thought is that it is not really legal. What about showing ‘Frozen’ to a class at primary school ? This isn’t covered by an ERA licence is it? How does your institution manage this?

Thank you for any advice.

Jo

Joanne Lacy

College Librarian

Hereford College of Arts

College Road, Hereford

HR1 1EB.

Switchboard (01432) 273359

Direct line (01432) 845315

www.hca.ac.uk

Please email [log in to unmask] if out of office.

LOGO
The information contained within this e-mail is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information is prohibited and may be unlawful. Information or opinions expressed are those of the author and are not necessarily those of Hereford College of Arts. No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Hereford College of Arts by means of email communications.
Visit the official page of ARLIS UK & Ireland http://www.arlis.net/Home. Subscribe to https://arlismatters.wordpress.com/, to receive regular posts on art library and archive matters; news, print and digital art and design resources, artists’ books, recent and upcoming events and exhibitions, ARLIS/UK & Ireland publications, job listings and professional profiles.