Hi Suzie,

Happy to discuss this further, but here’s a couple of short newsletter articles that might interest you:
Struggling With Space: Collection Browsing, Architectural Illustrations, and Remote Storage Decisions: http://www.acsa-arch.org/acsa-news/read/read-more/acsa-news/2017/08/07/struggling-with-space-collection-browsing-architectural-illustrations-and-remote-storage-decisions

Library Summer Project: Collections Review: http://www.acsa-arch.org/acsa-news/read/read-more/acsa-news/2018/05/22/library-summer-project-collections-review.

FYI, I’m also working on a presentation at the upcoming College Art Association conference which I’ve titled The Case for On-Site Art and Design Reference Collections: Browsing as a Research Method and Pedagogical Tool that also delves into this from the lens of considering what needs to be on site for browsing purposes, in support of curricular goals.

I’m fortunate that my off-site collections can be retrieved the next working day and that we have great periodical indexes, so it’s easy for me to decide to store back-runs of periodicals.  As far as books are concerned, you really need to understand the relationship between intellectual access (subject headings & keywords) and your students’ searching behaviors before storing design titles where they can’t be browsed. But you’ll notice that I’m not even talking about withdrawing, just storing off-site. I withdraw rather than send to off-site storage when we already have the item in our off-site storage, when the item has been damaged beyond repair, or, when my users can easily obtain the content through another library (or, sometimes, when there is an online edition that can substitute for the original artefact): so that means checking OCLC to determine number of copies available in our region. Formal or informal arrangements with other institutions can also help (e.g., I rely on X institution for collections related to Y and they rely on my institution for collections on Z).

Best wishes,

Janine J. Henri
Architecture and Design Librarian and
Team Lead for Collections