On 5 December 2013, the then Chancellor George Osborne delivered his autumn statement to the House of Commons, stressing the need for less tax evasion. But one of his decisions appears to have tripled one type of evasion, losing the government around £70m in tax every year.

This was not the intention of abolishing paper tax discs for vehicle excise duty. The Treasury presented the move, which came into force from October 2014, as “a visual symbol of how we are moving government into the modern age and making dealing with government more hassle free”.

http://bit.ly/2Tnogft
http://bit.ly/2Tnogft+

--
Peterk