The first SPSC lecture of 2019 is now available to book https://bit.ly/2EsFl4m

Title: The fight against sexual violence in a right-moving world

Abstract: This talk will engage critically with the feminist fight against sexual violence, in relation to the global swing to the right in which political and cultural narratives around gender are being reshaped and rejuvenated. In the context of a new ‘war on women’ worldwide, #MeToo and similar movements have been key to contemporary political resistance. However, mainstream movements against sexual violence are ill-equipped to address the intersections of patriarchy, capitalism and colonialism which produce sexual violence. Furthermore, reactionary arms of these movements are gaining increasing power and platforms, as they dovetail with far-right narratives. I argue that to resist an intersectionality of systems we need an intersectionality of struggles, and that feminism which does not centre the most marginalised is not fit for purpose.

Bio: Alison Phipps is Professor of Gender Studies at Sussex University. She is author of The Politics of the Body: Gender in a Neoliberal and Neoconservative Age (Polity, 2014) and is currently working on a new monograph entitled Personal Business: the Feminist Fight Against Sexual Violence

Davina Weston

Development Officer

Social Policy, Sociology & Criminology

@UoBSocialPolicy

01214146456

https://collaborate.bham.ac.uk/hr/SiteCollectionImages/Misc%20images/HR-Skyline-vector---email.png

Notice of Confidentiality:

The contents of this email may be privileged and are confidential. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than the addressee, nor copied in any way. If received in error please notify the sender and then delete it from your system. Should you communicate with me by email, you consent to the University of Birmingham monitoring and reading any such correspondence.

P Please consider the environment before printing this email.

To unsubscribe from the SOCIAL-POLICY list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=SOCIAL-POLICY&A=1