From: The sigma network for cross-university mathematics and statistics support <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Martin Greenhow
Sent: 13 December 2018 11:59
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: On-line Numeracy initial assessment?

Dear All,

Just a word of warning about writing questions for nurses and using random parameters … make sure you don’t kill anyone! When I was writing my nursing questions in maths e.g. I worked closely with a SL in nursing to make sure the clinical practice was correct. Mostly the questions are about proportionality, so easy to code with randoms, but you have to make sure that the drug dosages are realistic and also know things like “children don’t get that drug” and “syringe drivers only come in 15 or 20 drops per minute, not 17” … so I had to take out a lot of possible randomisation.

Feedback is another issue: how far do you go in explaining things? Nurses tend to use God-given formulae and just substitute the numbers in … could be a reason why mistakes happen. So my feedback explained why the calculation works the way it does instead. Others may have different views on this.

Don’t use abbreviations for micro and milli ever … nurses are not allowed to do so but have to write it out in full.

Whey I said “make sure you don’t kill anyone!” above, I wasn’t joking either … 25% of medical litigation cases involve calculation errors and patients do die. So if you are due a hospital visit, take your calculator along too!

Best wishes,

Martin