Hello Jez:

For very large datasets in Canada, we tend to work with our national
Federated Research Data Repository (FRDR) service - https://www.frdr.ca. It
runs Globus as a backend and UBC designed Open Collections interface as a
front end.

Globus is amazing for moving large datasets from place to place, as any
machine or server could work as an endpoint for data transfer. Not to
mention that FRDR also allows us to preserve digital data into
Archivematica platform...

Happy to talk more about our Canadian experience.

Eugene (@UBC in Vancouver)