Ps. A ‘Reply All’ entirely done with purpose

From: Realist and Meta-narrative Evidence Synthesis: Evolving Standards
<[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Gill Westhorp
Sent: December 14, 2018 2:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Program theory elicitation through participation strategies

PLEASE NOTE: When you click 'Reply' to any message it will be sent to all
RAMESES List members. If you only want to reply to the sender please remove
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  from the 'To:'
section of your email.

Bonjour Ségolène,

I don’t have this written up as an article (yet), but the attached
presentation deals with a participatory,
capacity-building-in-realist-evaluation project, just completed. It looks at
the participatory, capacity building aspects of the project and was
presented to the CARES conference in 2016. Slides 10-12 show the structure
of the initial program theory (theory of action, main mechanisms in the
theory of change, examples of CMOs).

I’m happy to talk more off-line and provide some extra written material
about the processes we used if that would help. I’m currently working on
writing up the (very different) program theory that we ended up with by the
end of the project.

Just as a point of interest – not only did this project develop and evidence
different ways of understanding how the program model works, it also changed
the attitudes of participating staff to evaluation. Management and funders
were always keen on it, and genuinely interested to learn from it. Staff on
the ground – those who were being trained in how to do it - became committed
to it over time, as they discovered that evaluation could be useful to them
(not an experience they’d had, previously) and just how much they learned
from it.  There were some very moving stories and powerful shifts in
ownership of the evaluation over time.

Best of luck with it!

Gill