The idea of 50 lux being “safe” is a myth. All light is damaging to organic materials (and some inorganic ones) and 50 lux was chosen as it is the lowest light level at which the average human eye can clearly distinguish colour.

Setting lighting at that level encouraged museums to think it is safe to leave objects exposed without thinking of the cumulative effect.

Nowadays we are much more aware of the need to consider the whole exposure - the intensity (in lux) multiplied by the time (in hours) which gives an exposure value in lux-hours.

For light-sensitive materials it’s generally agreed to have a MAXIMUM of 150,000 lux-hours per year. This means light levels can be above 50 lux, as long as the object is exposed to light for shorter periods to balance out.

Museums generally also agree that it is not appropriate to allow unnecessary damage to objects - eg exposing them to light when no-one can see them. Galleries which are exposed to natural daylight are notorious for this - in some cases objects are exposed to more light damage when the museum is closed (in long summer days) than when it is opened. Protecting objects from light when the museum is closed also needs to be included in the plan.

Finally, some museums also plan to keep light-sensitive objects in the dark for 3 times as long as they’ve been on exhibition unless there is a really important reason (eg an anniversary) to put them back temporarily on display.

Hope this helps.
Best wishes

Helena