Dear all

The Multi-Ethnic Counselling Service (MECS) which is part of Waterloo Community Counselling in London, SE1 have had a contract to work with BME referrals and referrals requiring mother-tongue counselling from Lambeth Talking Therapies since 2012 and Southwark Talking Therapies since 2015 (both are IAPT services and part of SLAM NHS.) Prior to this, WCC had long standing contracts with both Lambeth and Southwark PCTs.

In 2004 the Multi-Ethnic Counselling Service was created as a specific project to meet the needs of migrant and refugee referrals accessing counselling in their mother-tongue. Over the past 14 years there has been a significant increase in refugee and asylum-seeking referrals to the project.  In our experience, IAPT services are unwilling to provide Talking Therapies to referrals who have no recourse to public funds, i.e. asylum seekers. Therefore, we have needed to raise separate funds in order to see these referrals.  Many of the clients have complex psychological and emotional problems arising from traumatic experiences in their countries of origin. We provide service users with individual counselling and some group support as well as referral on to other organisations to address pragmatic and practical difficulties affecting our clients. This year the organisation continued to pursue four main strategies to attain the objectives of ensuring services are accessible and meet the needs of service users.

At MECS, counselling is offered in the client’s language of choice. In our experience, counselling, which is reliant on good communication, is most effective if it is provided in the language with which the client feels most comfortable. So far we have been able to provide counselling in almost all languages requested. This year 90% of clients received counselling/ assessments in 27 languages other than English. Mother tongue counselling was provided in the following languages: Albanian, Amharic, Arabic, Bengali, Cantonese, Farsi, Farsi (Dari), French, Greek, Hindi, Italian, Kurdish, Lithuanian, Mandarin, Pashto, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, Tamil, Tigrignian, Turkish, Twee and Urdu.

Best wishes,
Priya Commander

Priya Commander
Psychodynamic Psychotherapist FPC & UKCP, Psychodynamic Psychoanalytic Supervisor BAPPS
Project Manager - Multi-Ethnic Counselling Service

Waterloo Community Counselling
Barley Mow Clinic
Greet House
Frazier Street