Call for contributions, Social Sciences: Special issue on “Family and Work: Parental Leave and Careers”

https://www.mdpi.com/si/18566

Dear Colleagues,

The intersection between parental leave and career trajectories is a crucial dimension for understanding gendered life courses.  In part, self-perpetuating gendered understandings of career trajectories may explain the strongly gendered patterns that persist with regard to parental leave taking: Fathers usually take a much lower proportion of leave than mothers. How decisions around leave taking are made and their consequences vary substantially between mothers and fathers, and also between contexts and across time. Opportunities for taking leave available in the workplace also vary substantially between mothers and fathers, and also between contexts and across time. In this special issue, we aim to broaden and deepen our understanding of the relationship between taking parental leave and careers and occupations, for both mothers and fathers. We therefore welcome empirical contributions with a focus on such aspects as gender equality, the workplace perspective, couple interactions over leave, and career decisions.

We welcome a range of empirical contributions from specific countries and contexts but also comparative analyses, and also those contributions, which take into account the variation across groups of parents (e.g., by socio-economic group, gender, ethnicity, disability, age).

Prof. Ann-Zofie Duvander
Prof. Alison Koslowski
Guest Editors

For more information: https://www.mdpi.com/si/18566

Professor Alison Koslowski

Professor of Social Policy and Research Methods  I  Deputy Head of Social Policy

Room 2.05, Chyrstal Macmillan Building  I  15a Goerge Square
School of Social and Political Sciences  I  University of Edinburgh  I  Edinburgh EH8 8LD

Co-editor of Families, Relationships and Societies

To unsubscribe from the EUROPEAN-SOCIAL-POLICY list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=EUROPEAN-SOCIAL-POLICY&A=1