With apologies for cross posting.

Dear IAG Economic Geography Study Group member and friends,

We are writing to let you know about the upcoming IAG conference in Tasmania and some special EG-related events. The conference is on 9-13 July 2019 and the theme is Geographies of Emergence, Divergence, and Convergence.

Thanks to the funding support of the IAG, we have confirmed a keynote speaker in Economic Geography. Janelle Knox-Hayes<https://dusp.mit.edu/faculty/janelle-knox-hayes> is Associate Professor of Economic Geography and Planning in the Department of Urban Studies and Planning at MIT. She holds a visiting research fellowship at the Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment at Oxford University. Her research focuses on the ways in which social and environmental systems are governed under changing temporal and spatial scales as a consequence of globalization. She has studied the political and economic interface of financial markets and environmental systems and how individuals and organizations plan and make decisions under conditions of socio-economic uncertainty. Her latest project examines how social values shape sustainable development.

Janelle's latest book<https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-cultures-of-markets-9780198718451?cc=au&lang=en&> is entitled The Cultures of Markets: The Political Economy of Climate Governance. We look forward to an interesting author-meets-critics session at the IAG with Janelle. Please let us know if you are interested in being involved in that.

We would also like to encourage you to propose economic geography sessions for the 2019 IAG. We are very supportive of heterodox economic geography that encompasses a breadth of work including cultural economies, alternative economies, sustainable transitions etc.

Further, we encourage you to develop and propose ideas at the EG Study Group meeting at the 2019 IAG - we are very interested in more successful funding applications to the IAG for study group activities. The funding for Janelle to speak is just one example of what could be possible. Our aim is to raise the profile of the excellent economic geography scholarship that occurs in Australia.

We look forward to seeing you at the IAG in 2019!

Best wishes,

Sangeetha Chandrashekeran and Kirsten Martinus

Dr Sangeetha Chandrashekeran
Deputy Director | Melbourne Sustainable Society Institute | Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning
Lecturer and Researcher | School of Geography  |  Faculty of Science
T: +61 3 8344 2661  M: 0418 329 689  E: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

I work at the Melbourne Sustainable Society Institute Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I work at the School of Geography Tuesday and Thursday.

I acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land where I live and work, the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nations, and pay my respects to the Elders both past and present.

[cid:image001.jpg@01D3E078.AF69F310]

This email and any attachments may contain personal information or  information that is otherwise confidential or the subject of copyright. Any use, disclosure or copying of any part of it is prohibited. The University does not warrant that this email or any attachments are free from viruses or defects. Please check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening them. If this email is received in error please delete it and notify us by return email.