   What may be counter-intuitive when looked at in one way may be
perfectly expected from another point of view.  I look at these maps as
the result of a single cycle of steepest descent refinement where the
parameters are the density values of the map sampled on the grid.  If
you start with a map calculated from the coefficients

(|Fcalc|, PhiCalc)

One cycle of steepest descent gives the shift

2(|Fobs|-|Fcalc|, PhiCalc)

giving a new and improved map with the coefficients

(|Fcalc|, PhiCalc) + 2(|Fobs|-|Fcalc|, PhiCalc)
   = (|Fcalc| + 2|Fobs| -2|Fcalc|, PhiCalc)
   = (2|Fobs| - |Fcalc|, PhiCalc)

or the classic 2Fo-Fc map.

   If you start with (|Fobs|, PhiObs) then your shift will be zero
because the R value is already perfect.  You cannot improve an
experimental map unless you refine against other criteria.

   On the other hand, if you start with (|Fcalc|, PhiObs) you have to
question your sanity a bit because |Fobs| is so much better, in fact
perfect.  If you decide to press ahead anyway you find that the
coefficients of the updated map are (2|Fobs| - |Fcalc|, PhiObs).  These
are better than (|Fcalc|, PhiObs) but still not as good as (|Fobs|, PhiObs).

   There really is no justification for simply attaching the observed
phases to the calculated amplitudes.  The reason we are doing atomic
model refinement (instead of density map refinement as described above)
is to impose a lot of external knowledge such as atomic shape, solvent
flatness, and various relationships between atoms.  All of that
information gets encoded in the Fcalc's (complex numbers) so their
amplitudes and phases are tightly coupled.  It is no surprise that just
ripping out half and replacing it with something else would lower the
quality of the contained information.

   If you want a map to help evaluate your model when you have
experimental phase information you should run one cycle of steepest
descent optimization on the map with both amplitudes and phases
restrained.  If I ignore the complication of much larger uncertainty of
the phase relative to the amplitude, I believe the single cycle shift is
a map calculated from the complex coefficients 2(Fobs-Fcalc) and this is
your "difference map".  The 2Fo-Fc equivalent would have the
coefficients 2Fobs-Fcalc.  Remember they are all complex numbers with
their proper phases.

   I did this derivation in Least-Squares formalism so I can't be
confident of the m's and D's.  I also assumed that Fridel's Law holds,
but that assumption was made with the traditional maps as well.

Dale Tronrud