From: WILLIAMS Alan <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, December 3, 2018 6:56 PM
To: Arch-Metals Group; Scott Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Blood as quenchants for knives, etc

Blood is basically saline soln(+proteins) and salt water is a better quenchant than pure water.

The reason for that is (I understand from CSS) that as water is heated locally, salt microcrystals form and they act as nuclei so that large steam bubbles burst rather than expanding further, and an insulating layer of steam bubbles never forms around the quenched object.  So it is more effectively cooled.

Alan Williams