Up to 30 fully-funded PhD Studentships for entry in September 2019

South, West & Wales Doctoral Training Partnership

https://www.sww-ahdtp.ac.uk/

The AHRC-funded South, West & Wales Doctoral Training Partnership (SWW DTP2) is a collaboration of nine leading universities and the Amgueddfa Cymru-National Museum of Wales, and 23 cultural, arts, heritage and industry partners including Aardman Animations, Arts Council South West, Cornwall Museum Partnerships and Historic England. https://www.sww-ahdtp.ac.uk/about/our-partners/non-hei-partners/

The SWW DTP2 is designed to lead a new generation of researchers into productive careers whether in academia or professional practice. We provide flexible, student-centred training that nurtures disciplinary expertise in conjunction with interdisciplinary perspectives, enriched by the world-class expertise and state-of-the-art resources offered through the partnership. https://www.sww-ahdtp.ac.uk/about/training-and-development/

The SWW DTP2 offers joint supervision arrangements between its 10 consortium members (9 university partners and the Amgueddfa Cymru-National Museum of Wales). Our students are provided with unparalleled access across institutional boundaries to the most relevant and cutting-edge expertise through these collaborative supervisory teams, ensuring an exceptional breadth and depth of coverage for your project.

Eligibility

We are looking for students from the UK or EU with evidence of exceptional promise for PhD study.

You will have a compelling project that will benefit from the expertise we can offer, in and across our range of subjects and from our rich archival resources and network of professional partners.

Detailed information on both academic and residency eligibility criteria can be found on our website: https://www.sww-ahdtp.ac.uk/prospective-students/eligibility-guidelines/

Applying for a SWW DTP Studentship

Apply to the SWW DTP2 for entry in September 2019 and become part of the new generation of arts and humanities researchers. https://www.sww-ahdtp.ac.uk/prospective-students/ahrc-institutional-funding/

The studentship competition and application system will open on Monday 3rd December 2018 and close on Friday 18th January 2019. Applications must be submitted online and further information is available on our website:  https://www.sww-ahdtp.ac.uk/prospective-students/ahrc-institutional-funding/

Collaborative Doctoral Awards

There are three Collaborative Doctoral Awards available this year. The projects are detailed below but the selection process to identify the most suitable candidate to undertake the research is coordinated and managed by the institution of the home HEI supervisor.

Collaborative Doctoral Award 1:

Presenting Roman Pasts – a practice-based approach to museum media and Caerleon’s Roman Legionary history: Amgueddfa Cymru – National Museum Wales, Dr. Mark Lewis (Senior Curator in Roman Archaeology); University of Bristol, Dr. Angela Piccini (Screen Media); University of Southampton, Prof. Stephanie Moser (Archaeology).

Collaborative Doctoral Award 2:

Immersive Images 1820 – 1920: Bill Douglas Cinema Museum, Dr. Phil Wickham (Lead Curator); University of Exeter, Prof. John Plunkett (Visual Media and Performance); Cardiff University, Prof. Julia Thomas (Victorian illustration, material culture, and digital humanities).

Collaborative Doctoral Award 3:

The Role of Independent Cinema in the Age of On-demand Culture: Watershed Cinema, Mark Cosgrove (Cinema Curator); University of the West of England, Prof. Andrew Spicer (Cultural Production); University of Exeter, Dr. James Lyons (Film Studies).

To find out more please visit: https://www.sww-ahdtp.ac.uk/prospective-students/apply/

Katy Henson

Digital Marketing and Communications Officer

Tel: 0117 428 2281

The South, West and Wales Doctoral Training Partnership (SWW DTP), University of Bristol

Please note my working hours are:

Tuesday 9.30am - 2.30pm

Wednesday 8.30am - 12.30pm

Thursday 9.30am - 2.30pm