Some might be interested in this new paper on cities as networks of information and interaction, published in a special edition of Entropy on ‘Entropy and Scale-Dependence in Urban Modelling’.

Cities, from Information to Interaction

|  |  |

|  |
Cities, from Information to Interaction

Vinicius Netto

From physics to the social sciences, information is now seen as a fundamental component of reality. However, a f...

The paper introduces a three-layered model of information in cities, namely (i) environmental information in physical space, (ii) environmental information in semantic space, and (iii) the information enacted by interacting agents.
We propose forms of estimating entropy in these different layers, and apply these measures to emblematic urban cases and simulated scenarios. Our results suggest that aspects of physical and semantic information affect coordination in interaction systems.
Ideas in this work were presented in a recent lecture arranged by Sophia Psarra at UCL, an opportunity I’m very thankful for.
all best wishes,
Vini

Vinicius M. NettoProfessor Associado | Associate ProfessorChefe do Departamento de Urbanismo | Head of Department of UrbanismUniversidade Federal Fluminense | UFF
Editor for Latin America: Area Development and Policy (ADP), a journal of the Regional Studies Association