Dear Johanne,

That is really useful - I have been increasingly struck by the irony of
ever increasing levels of of intervention implemented to avert risk and yet
the one intervention which has overwhelming evidence in its favour remains
almost impossible to implement. We are living in a time when there are 2
such diametrically opposing discourses. One stresses the need for ever
increasing medical and technological intervention for all women to avoid
risk and the other maintains that normality and safe practice are protected
by continuity of carer. I am very much afraid that the first discourse is
winning time after time while Better Births is paid lip service only. We
must try to do all we can to prevent the same failure happening again as
happened after "Changing Childbirth" but the challenges are considerably
greater in terms of higher levels of medicalisation 25 years on.

Katherine Hales
National Coordinator
*A*ssociation of *R*adical *M*idwives
Because Midwifery Matters