All
As we're now into November and within three weeks of the CFP deadline for
ISKO UK's 2019 conference we wanted to repost the call for papers. We're
keen to hear from the widest range of possible participants, from early
stage researcher through to established practitioners in the field.
Details are below and you can find out more at the dedicated conference
website at http://iskouk2019.org/
We look forward to hearing form people interested in contributing.

*The Human Position in an Artificial World: Creativity, Ethics & AI
inKnowledge Organization*

15 – 16 July 2019, London

This will be the 6th biennial conference of the UK Chapter of ISKO
(International Society for Knowledge Organization)

The conference explores the connected themes of artificial intelligence
(AI) and its role in knowledge organization, ethics and creativity. What
innovations are taking place and what roles can humans play in all of this?
The conference will consider practical solutions as well as the theory
behind the creation, development and delivery of knowledge organizing
systems, ranging from controlled vocabularies, classification systems,
metadata schemas through to ontologies and taxonomies.

Topics include:

   - Where has AI come from and where is it going in knowledge organization?
   - What roles are there for taxonomies and ontologies in AI?
   - What are the latest developments in Ethics of knowledge organization?
   - How should AI support creativity in taxonomies and ontologies?
   - How will AI applications take account of ethical concerns whilst
maintaining
   creativity?
   - How is the role of the intermediary changing as AI impacts on KO
   applications?
   - How will we ensure that the expertise of the intermediary
   is significantly implemented?

The ISKO UK 2019 conference aims to balance papers about practical
approaches and products with academic research at the boundaries of
knowledge organization. The conference will be a showcase for inspiring,
innovative work in our field. We look forward to welcoming the worldwide KO
community to London.

*Presentation format, submissions and acceptance criteria*The conference
will provide slots for 25-minute presentations, as well as a
display of posters. Speakers will be asked to provide a paper as well as
presenting the material in person. Together with slides and audio
recordings, all the papers submitted will be published electronically on
the conference website. After peer review the two best papers will be
selected for publication in ISKO’s journal, Knowledge Organization.

You can submit proposals in the form of an abstract via ConfTool. (To make
the submission you will be asked to set up a user account with ConfTool,
our service provider.) The closing date for proposals is 29 November 2018.

We welcome proposals for full papers (25-minutes) as well as posters. ISKO
UK invites KO practitioners, academics and developers of innovative
solutions to submit abstracts for consideration. We especially welcome
poster contributions from students and encourage this medium as a forum for
sharing initial ideas or speculative approaches to the subject.

Other criteria for acceptance include originality, clarity of expression,
and relevance to the conference theme. Proposals should have a sound basis
in historical fact, KO theory, or current practice.

Please provide an abstract in English of 300-500 words (including
references), and indicate whether you plan for a presentation, or a poster.
We
will let you know by 1 February 2019 whether your proposal has been
accepted.  Full papers should be submitted by 1 May 2019. Editorial
guidelines will be available via the conference website from October 2018.

Any queries regarding the submission of abstracts should be sent to

To submit your abstract, follow this link
<https://www.conftool.org/iskouk2019/> to our ConfTool page where you can
register and submit.

--

*Dr Ian Synge*