Dear list members,
We’d like to bring your attention to a currently open call for contributions<https://www.mdpi.com/journal/publications/special_issues/openpub> to a special issue of “Publications” (ISSN 2304-6775) that we are co-editing, with the theme of new frontiers for openness in scholarly publishing – basically, where should the movement to bring more openness to publishing, as well as scholarship in general, go from here (or not – we really welcome critical reflections on the limits of openness too!). Data-driven or theoretical submissions are equally welcome!
The journal is open access with no APCs – the scope of the call is below, and the deadline for submissions is end March 2019.
We really hope that this special issue can contribute to free discussion of the future of open scholarship and the agenda towards transparency and participation in general, to try to move these conversations forward. We especially welcome submissions from groups or regions currently underrepresented in such conversations. Therefore, if you know of anyone who might be interested but is not a member of these lists or similar channels of conversation, please pass on this invitation. Help us break out of our filter bubble!
If you would like to make a pre-submission inquiry or even just bounce ideas, we’d be delighted to hear from you!
With best wishes,
Bianca Kramer, Jon Tennant and Tony Ross-Hellauer
**********
“Publications” Special Issue
"New Frontiers for Openness in Scholarly Publishing"
https://www.mdpi.com/journal/publications/special_issues/openpub
Dear Colleagues,
Open Scholarship (also often called Open Science) is reshaping the scope and nature of scholarly publishing in its technological, social, legal, economic, and ethical dimensions. However, while more and more transparency is now often expected of researchers, major elements of scholarly publishing processes and the policies that govern them remain relatively opaque. Peer review and editorial selection remain largely hidden from view, business models and operating costs often lack transparency, proprietary platforms and technologies create walled gardens for research, licensing and metadata restrictions limit re-use, and data about all these processes are usually kept closed. How might the wider scholarly publishing ecosystem benefit from increased interoperability, transparency, and accessibility of processes and data?
Here, we welcome contributions that seek to investigate how increased interoperability, transparency, and accessibility of processes and data could aid scholarly publishing to best serve the needs of scholarship and wider society. Equally, critical views that engage with the benefits of ‘closed’ or proprietary systems are encouraged. Our intention is to increase the critical discourse surrounding this rapidly evolving landscape, and we encourage submissions from the global research community.
This issue especially welcomes contributions that address the following:

  *   Open and interoperable infrastructure, platforms, services, and tools
  *   De-centralisation, open-source or community-driven efforts
  *   Benefits and drawbacks of transparency and harmonisation of policies for peer review, preprints, ethics, data-availability, licensing, etc.
  *   Transparency of costs (e.g., APCs, subscriptions, big deals)
  *   Business models for publishing
  *   Openness in editorial processes, including peer review and editorial selection
  *   Interoperable metadata, for instance, openness of citation data and other sources for metrics
  *   Data-sharing to optimise editorial processes
  *   Social, political, and economic arguments for the different aspects of ‘open scholarship’
  *   Publishing’s place in the evolving scope of research in modern society
  *   The intersection of scholarly publishing and (changing) research norms
Dr. Tony Ross-Hellauer
Editor-in-Chief
Dr. Bianca Kramer
Dr. Jon Tennant