PhD opportunities in languages at the University of Reading: AHRC South, West and Wales Doctoral Training Partnership (SWW2)

Dear all,

We would like to draw your attention to this call for PhD applications, which is part of the AHRC South, West and Wales (SWW2)<https://www.sww-ahdtp.ac.uk/>Doctoral Training Partnership annual studentship competition. SWW2 is a consortium of Amgueddfa Cymru – National Museum Wales, Aberystwyth University, Bath Spa University, University of Bristol, Cardiff University, Cranfield University, University of Exeter, University of Reading, University of Southampton, and the University of the West of England funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council to provide postgraduate studentships and training. The programme will offer 200 awards across five student cohorts with a proportion of the awards offered being Collaborative Doctoral Awards<http://www.sww-ahdtp.ac.uk/prospective-students/studentship-types/> (CDAs).

The Department of Modern Languages and European Studies<https://www.reading.ac.uk/modern-languages-and-european-studies/> at the University of Readingwill support a select number of candidates for consideration for SWW2 funding. We offer PhD programmes in French, German, Italian and Spanish and Latin American Studies. Our Department offers a friendly, highly supportive, intellectually driven Modern Languages community, and we are consistently successful in grant capture, with ongoing projects funded by the AHRC, British Academy, ESRC, the Leverhulme Trust and Marie Sklodowska-Curie.

In the most recent Research Excellence Framework assessment (REF 2014), 98% of our research was judged to be of international standing. Our research performance was exceptionally strong and we were rated fourth in the UK for impact and fifth for research intensity. We were also commended for the effective integration of doctoral students into our research environment.

We invite applications from students interested in pursuing doctoral research that relates to our research strengths:

·       Contemporary cultural history, including the history of ideas

·       Gender and sexuality studies

·       History of the publishing industry, archives-based research (1800-present)

·       Literature for children, including comparative approaches

·       Medieval and early modern literatures and cultures

·       Migration and minority studies

·       Modern theatre, television and film

·       Nineteenth to twenty-first century history, including conflict, war and disability studies

·       Postcolonial literatures, cultures and politics

·       Sociolinguistics and discourse analysis

·       Translation and trans-cultural studies.

For more information on our PhD programmes and research, please refer to our web pages<https://www.reading.ac.uk/modern-languages-and-european-studies/phd-programmes/mles-phd-programmes.aspx>. If you are interested in applying for the SWW2 funding competition with our department, you can contact Dr Sophie Heywood, Director of Post Graduate Studies [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

The Application system opens on Monday 3rd December, and the deadline for applications is Friday 18th January 2019. For more information, including on the application process and eligibility, please visit https://www.sww-ahdtp.ac.uk/

[https://www.sww-ahdtp.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/sww-dtp-studentship-logo.png]<https://www.sww-ahdtp.ac.uk/>

SWW DTP Studentship | South, West and Wales Doctoral ...<https://www.sww-ahdtp.ac.uk/>
www.sww-ahdtp.ac.uk
The 21st century is transforming academic research: the creative and intellectual challenges of our research enquiries are now combined with the demands of a dynamic and ever more globalised society.

 Best regards

Daniela La Penna

See my latest online publication here:
http://goo.gl/BFDz0n

Dr Daniela La Penna, FHEA
Senior co-editor The Italianist
Associate Professor in Italian Studies
Research Division Lead, Modern Languages and Linguistics
Department of Modern Languages and European Studies
School of Languages and Literature
Miller Building - PO Box 217
Whiteknights Campus
University of Reading
RG6 6AB
United Kingdom
Tel: ++44 (0) 118 378 6502
Fax: ++44 (0) 118 378 6797
ORCID iD: 0000-0002-4197-0041<https://www.owamail.reading.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?C=Xrkwq1-jjPvTwi6K78AXwss5FaQGmbh3zyE5eWNXt_TUQkME-nzVCA..&URL=http%3a%2f%2forcid.org%2f0000-0002-4197-0041>
Visit us on Facebook: Modern Languages & European Studies at Reading University
Follow us on Twitter: Modern Languages@RU
Diasporic Archives: Leverhulme International Network
www.diasporicarchives.com<https://www.owamail.reading.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=ecCehzw84Atz9EetTKWUkJlEOmCbdEdGGVnpduY2KXF4fH5zTbvSCGgAdAB0AHAAOgAvAC8AdwB3AHcALgBkAGkAYQBzAHAAbwByAGkAYwBhAHIAYwBoAGkAdgBlAHMALgBjAG8AbQAvAA..&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.diasporicarchives.com%2f>

http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/yita20<https://www.owamail.reading.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?C=ar3MALmYb0zJj7RrJZMp_gKnAE-E0xMQmR4goCU6zUcyqG2ZnPbTCA..&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.tandfonline.com%2floi%2fyita20>