Dear colleagues

Gender and the premature deaths of people with intellectual disabilities: A request for information

We know that people with intellectual disabilities die at younger ages than the general population.  Women with intellectual disabilities appear to have greater inequality in mortality rates compared to the general population than men with intellectual disabilities [1]. The reasons for this are unclear.

With the support of the IASSIDD Health Special Interest Research Group (SIRG), we are aiming to identify and summarise international evidence regarding gender and the premature deaths of people with intellectual disabilities.  This evidence review will inform a Delphi study.  The aim of the Delphi study will be to produce a consensus evidence statement with the IASSIDD Health SIRG that will be completed in time for the IASSIDD World Congress in August 2019.

We are looking for evidence including both peer reviewed literature and other data or reports (in particular public health/surveillance reports).  We will be looking at evidence from 1990 onwards that is available in the English language.

We will be looking at differences between men and women with intellectual disabilities in:
*	mortality rates across age bands
*	cause-specific mortality rates
*	physical health conditions linked to mortality
*	risk factors for common causes of mortality.

We will also be looking at issues specific to men or women with intellectual disabilities.  For example, testicular cancer may be more common among men with intellectual disabilities than the general population [2].

We would be extremely grateful to receive any evidence on these topics.   Information can be sent to [log in to unmask]

We look forward to hearing from you.

Chris Hatton
Pauline Heslop
Emily Lauer