Human Data Interaction Network Plus Workshop
‘AI Intelligibility and Public Trust’
 Date: Tuesday 4th December 2018
Timings: 10:00-16:00
Location: Microsoft Research, Cambridge, UK
Organisers: Abigail Sellen (Deputy Director, Microsoft Research Cambridge), Michael Evans (BBC), Dan Hill (Arup), Ewa Luger (University of Edinburgh)
Aim of the workshop: This workshop represents the first workshop of the network plus in Human Data Interaction (HDI).  Our aim is to draw together people from all three sectors (academia, public and third sector) to start making connections/partnerships and think about projects you’d like us to fund.
In January we will launch a call for projects – we hope that some of them will come from this workshop!  For further information about HDI see http://hdi-network.org/intro_to_hdi/
Why Human Data Interaction?  We are increasingly surrounded by intelligent systems.  These systems are driven by algorithms; sets of instructions, or rules, for a computer to follow.  It has been said that if every algorithm in the world stopped working at the same time, it would be the end of the world as we know it.  Algorithms are part of our everyday lives; in our smartphones, our laptops, our cars, appliances and toys - and at the systemic level in areas such as banking, airplane scheduling and piloting, trading and record keeping.  Our actions generate the data that keeps these systems in operation.
AI is the latest iteration of algorithmically driven systems. The algorithms we are now imagining behave less like those of old and more like the human brain.  With that comes a greater level of complexity, but also a greater level of obscurity.  When the context is relatively benign, for example recommendations of what you might buy next, then this isn’t such a problem.  But what happens when the system decides whether you can access medication, or whether you get hired, or who gets elected?
How do these systems reach their judgments? what data do they use? Why did they decide this thing and not something else? How can users change the outcome?  How should these systems present their decisions?  These questions, and others, are arising again and again. Helping people to understand how these systems work is a core concern for Human Data Interaction.
Apply to attend: If you’d like to attend, or have any questions, please contact Alan Munro (Alan.J.Munro {at} glasgow.ac.uk<http://glasgow.ac.uk/>"), stating (a) your organisation (b) a few sentences on your interest in the topic, and (c) the sector you represent.  Places are limited and will be selected to ensure diversity and sectoral spread.  Attendance is free, and lunch is provided.

We look forward to hearing from you!!
The HDI team

[cid9EF740D2-CB82-4497-ADD5-A38047FBFD46@home]

--