Dear Colleagues,

Please consider submitting an abstract to our session on Structural inheritance at the EGU general assembly to be held in Vienna from the 7th-12th April 2019.

This session aims to examine the influence of structural inheritance on rift systems across all spatial and temporal scales and to bridge the gap between our understanding of faulting and rifting across geologic and active timescales.

The full session description is attached below, feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

TS6.2

The impact of structural inheritance across spatial and temporal scales

Convenor – Thomas Phillips; Co-convenors – Zoe Mildon, Thilo Wrona

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2019/session/31988

Structural inheritance plays a fundamental role in plate tectonics, affecting rift development and fault geometry at a range of spatial scales, as well as seismic hazard and earthquake processes. Pre-existing structural heterogeneities, which are imparted through prior phases of deformation, are present across all scales throughout the lithosphere; from discrete fabrics at the centimetre scale to hundreds of kilometre scale rift systems and changes in lithospheric thickness. The impact of these pre-existing heterogeneities can be observed across multiple timescales, from determining the location, magnitude and propagation of earthquake sequences to dictating the geometry of faults and fault systems over geological time. However, determining the presence of structural inheritance and understanding how it may influence tectonic systems across spatial and temporal scales remains elusive.
We invite abstracts examining structural inheritance across all spatial and temporal scales, from active faulting to ancient, inactive geological systems. We invite studies from a wide range of disciplines, including numerical modelling, seismic reflection data, fieldwork, and seismology. This session aims to bridge the gap between structural inheritance as observed in active and ancient geological systems.

Keynote speaker – Dr Åke Fagereng

We look forward to reading your abstracts!

Dr. Thomas B. Phillips

Leverhulme Early Career Fellow

Dept. of Earth Sciences, Durham University, Elvet Hill, Durham, DH1 3LE

https://www.dur.ac.uk/earth.sciences/staff/research/?id=17607

Twitter - @tomphillips14

To unsubscribe from the GEO-TECTONICS list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=GEO-TECTONICS&A=1