Dear all

We'd like to draw your attention to the session described below taking place at the upcoming EGU in Vienna. We welcome abstracts related to geosciences in Iran and look forward to fruitful discussions across disciplines.

TS7.10/GD6.8
Convergent tectonics in Iran and its implications for the Arabia-Eurasia collision history (description below)

Keynote presentation
Richard Walker (University of Oxford)

Abstract submission: 22 October 2018 – 10 January 2019 (13:00 CET)
Support application: 22 October 2018 – 1 December 2018

Best wishes from the conveners

Jonas Ruh (ETH, Zurich)
Francesca Cifelli (University of Roma Tre, Rome)
Ali Mohammadi (Geological Survey, Tehran)

Session description:
Geotectonically, today Iran is the result of an amalgamation of several smaller continental blocks in its center surrounded by mountain belts following the closure of different branches of the Tethys ocean during the Cretaceous period and Cenozoic era. In scope of the greater Himalayan-Alpine collision zone, Iran played a particular role representing a geotectonic buffer between Arabia to its South and Eurasia to the North. The aim of this session is to advance our understanding of the temporal, structural and tectonic development of Iranian mountain belts with respect to the Arabia-Eurasia collision. In particular, the effect of far-field stress dispersion and the evolution of Iranian tectonics as a whole is of major interest.
We invite researchers to contribute their work related to the geology, tectonics or geodynamics of Iran as part of the Arabia-Eurasia collision history. We welcome new observations and data derived from any perspective of Earth sciences such as sedimentology, structural geology, geophysics (seismics, physical modelling, paleomagnetism) or geomorphology.

To unsubscribe from the GEO-TECTONICS list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=GEO-TECTONICS&A=1