Dear colleagues,

We have been discussing within the RACE group of the Royal Geographical Society (RGS) how we can support Black Cultural Archives (BCA), which we had been told was at risk of closure.  BCA houses archives on the histories of African and Caribbean communities in the UK.  RGS are happy to support us in writing a letter providing evidence of what a genuinely useful academic resource BCA is.  However, from the BCA website ( https://blackculturalarchives.org/ ), the risk of closure does not seem to be the primary issue, but rather that BCA wants to make its future position less precarious by becoming a National Portfolio Organisation, and we can all support them in this.  So, a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone who has direct contact with BCA know more about what their strategy is, so that we can support the approach they want to take?  (If you just want to pass on the name and contact details of a direct contact, that would also be helpful).
2. If the portfolio status is what's required, does anyone know of evidence that would work for BCA?

All the best,
Pat

Dr Patricia Noxolo,

Senior Lecturer in Human Geography

School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences,

University of Birmingham,

Edgbaston,

Birmingham

B15 2TT