From: AHFAP, for image professionals in the UK cultural heritage sector <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Maciej M. Pawlikowski <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday 26 October 2018 16:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: People behind digitization

Dear Colleagues,

Myself and Cambridge Digital Library’s Visiting Research Fellow Merisa Martinez, a PhD candidate in Library and Information Science at the University of Borås in Sweden, are researching the experiences of cultural heritage photographers in memory institutions. We are particularly interested in how photographers in cultural heritage institutions view themselves and their work in a scholarly context- and to that end, we are hoping to speak with those of you who would be willing to participate in anonymous interviews to be included in a scholarly article. This article will be integral to Merisa’s PhD thesis, which seeks to identify and analyze digital academic labour happening outside of academic faculties.

As we know, a large part of the work that our community performs in digitization studios is used in academic output, in the form of digital humanities projects, academic books, papers, and conference presentations. We’re interested in your experiences working with scholars and, particularly, your experience working with your institutions with regard to image attribution. Copyright law and policy does not allow (most of) us to retain copyright on the images we take in our institutions, as that copyright remains with the institutions themselves. However, image attribution and photo credit is a different matter. We’d like to know what your experiences have been at your institutions: do they have an option to provide image credits on each digital facsimile? Do they offer the opportunity for a 'staff credits’ page on their websites? Or is your labour anonymized? Gathering this information will help us, and particularly Merisa, present a more accurate picture of current practice and hopefully make the case for viewing digitization as an integral part of digital scholarship, and a scholarly process in its own right, requiring significant training and expertise.

If you would be willing to be interviewed (anonymously, and with strict adherence to GDPR guidelines), please do let us know by response to this email. We will be conducting the interviews via Skype during November, they will be recorded, and will be anonymized and used in an academic journal article. If you have further questions, I would be happy to address them in person at the AFHAP conference on 1 November, or via response to this email.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration of our project proposal, and of Merisa’s PhD work.

Yours sincerely,

Maciej and Merisa