Hi Claire,

In addition to our range of guidance on inclusive support for different needs and identities at https://www.ecu.ac.uk/guidance-resources/inclusive-environment/ , below is a quick medley of external links.  These might be of interest for background reading – I can’t vouch for all comments or approaches in these of course, but hope useful for discussion.

Family friendly events:

I’d also consider things like clarification about the presence of alcohol/non-alcoholic drinks, alternative forms of engagement (livestream, livetweeting, summary notes, transcribed speeches), inclusive language for a range of gender identities, awareness of prayer and rest spaces, content notes/warnings as applicable,  guides for Chairs on inclusive approaches, user-friendly signage, consideration of financial support for travel/accomodation expenses,and training for contractors/ushers/helpers.

Should any of our Advance HE members want specific advice on making events or comms inclusive to a range of identities and backgrounds, do of course get in touch directly (and equally, if you have any feedback on the inclusiveness of our own events).

Best wishes,

Jess

Jess Moody

Senior Adviser

E [log in to unmask]

T +44 20 3870 6013

Follow me on: Twitter

I use she/her pronouns

My usual working hours are Mon-Fri FT (flexible hrs)

(but please respond in your own time)

www.advance-he.ac.uk

First floor, Westminster Tower

3 Albert Embankment, London, SE1 7SP

Follow Advance HE on:

Twitter I Facebook I LinkedIn

cid:image001.png@01D3BD0C.B8AE1530

 This e-mail along with any attachment(s) is strictly confidential and may contain privileged information. It is intended solely for the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please do not disclose, store, copy, take any action or omit to take any action in reliance of its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail immediately. Views expressed in this e-mail are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Advance HE. Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a secure communications medium. We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security and take any necessary measures when e-mailing us. Although we have taken steps to ensure this e-mail and attachment(s) are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice, the recipient should ensure that they are actually virus free as Advance HE will not be liable for any losses as a result of any viruses being passed on by this e-mail and/or any attachment(s). Advance HE. Company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales no. 04931031. Registered as a charity in England and Wales no. 1101607. Registered as a charity in Scotland no. SC043946.