Dear Zooarch,
I was wondering if there is any scientific literature addressing rabbit domestication in the Iberian Peninsula.I have look at the archives and have found nothing useful.
On the internet, I have found an interesting piece that states:"Dr Greger Larson, lead-author and Director of the Palaeogenomics & Bio-Archaeology Research Network at Oxford, explains: ‘The historical evidence credits the Romans with the earliest written records of rabbits and as being the first to use hutches. The archaeological evidence shows that rabbits were hunted during the Palaeolithic in the Iberian Peninsula and southwest France. By the Middle Ages rabbits were considered a high-status food and regularly transported across Europe, although it took more than 2,000 years for differences between wild and domestic rabbits to be visible in their bones. Lastly, attempts to date the timing of rabbit domestication using genetic methods were clouded by uncertainty in the mutation rate.’"
The original source is:http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2018-02-14-history-domestication-rabbit’s-tale
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any scientific article addressing this subject.Any help would be great.
Thank you so much in advance.Kind regards,
Vera Pereira
Ph.D Student, Universidade de Coimbra
https://coimbra.academia.edu/VeraPereira