Hi Martin

One further example is Earth Heritage Trusts’s HLF funded Building Stones project   http://www.buildingstones.org.uk

Crowd sourced geo-spatial geological and historical data - primarily a big volunteers group; articles and resources about how this was managed are on the site.

Tech: Historic England MIDAS schema database, with SOLR indexing / API / GeoJSON approach.  Custom WordPress plugin consuming API and presenting into
search and mapping, with geological facets, BGS and historic OS map overlays over modern OS and satellite base layers via OpenLayers.

Any questions, give me a shout

--
James Grimster
Orangeleaf Systems Ltd