Dear all,
Thank you to everyone who responded to my email about free interlibrary requests. Below is a summary of the responses I received.

I received 11 responses - 9 libraries allow renewals, 2 don't allow renewals.

Are the renwals free:
2 libraries this isn' applicable as they don't allow renewals
2 allow free renewals
7 charge - Of the libraries that charge for renewals 3 libraries said they only charge for renewals from BL, 1 said undergraduates pay £1.50 per renewal and postgraduates/staff have free renewals, 1 said the first renewal is free, second renewal is £3 with a maximum of 5 renewals allowed, 1 said they charge £5 per renewal.

How do you encourage readers to return books - there were a number of different ideas about how to do this:
Items received on inter-library loan aren't allowed to be borrowed.
Set a limit on the number of renewals on any item:
in one instance this was set at 3 renewals
Set at 2 renewals and then asked for it to be returned, block placed on library record if not returned
Set at 2 renewals then overdue fines applied
Departments may pay for requests and renewals and if an item is renewed a number of times may ask the liaison librarian to buy a copy.
Manually chase by email/phone and remind readers that failure to return items prompltly may result in the lending library refusing to lend items in future.
Send adhoc email to a reader and emphasise how much BL renewals cost.
Force a recall by using an internal ticket.
Require readers to actively request a renewal, so even if the item is automatically renewed, such as BL loans, don't update the due date on the library account.

Regards,

Elaine Wilson

--
Elaine Wilson
InterLibrary Request Service,

e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel: 0114 2227251

To unsubscribe from the LIS-ILL list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=LIS-ILL&A=1