Hi

On 11 Oct 2018, at 20:20, Catherine Hegarty <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I'm new to ICA and trying to create a training file to use for cleaning up a task-fMRI data set in which I compare patients and controls. Most individuals have two runs of the task, and when that happens there is a second-level fixed effects FEAT is run for input into the group level analysis,  although some individuals have only one run. Should the ICA and FIX for each subject be run at the single-run level? Or at the second-level after the fixed effects FEAT?

FIX runs on fMRI timeseries so would have to be at the lowest level.

Should I create separate training sets for each group?

No - just one, including subjects from both groups, as you've done.

I have played around with FIX by using a sample of 14 subjects (half patients, half controls), and my output is below. I understand that (3*TPR+TNR)/4 is some collective representation of true positives and negatives— but should I pay more attention to the mean or median scores? Am I right in thinking that — if I were to use this training set – I should go with a threshold of 30?

Yeah those results look pretty good - yes, 30 seems reasonably optimal. If you wanted to play it "safer" in terms of risking losing less good components, maybe go with smaller. Looking at these results below I think I would probably go with 5.

Cheers.

set of thresholds is: 1   2   5  10  20  30  40  50
[TPR,TNR,(3*TPR+TNR)/4] pairs of results (averaged over datasets, one pair per threshold):

mean
98.1 97.4 96.1 95.3 93.0 90.8 88.3 86.8
40.1 48.4 58.6 67.7 76.9 82.5 86.9 88.8
83.6 85.1 86.7 88.4 89.0 88.8 88.0 87.3

median
100.0 100.0 100.0 100.0  95.7  92.6  92.6  89.0
42.6 49.5 56.3 68.0 80.7 84.8 91.5 91.9
84.0 84.6 86.4 88.8 91.7 92.1 91.2 89.2

Thank you!