AAG CFP 2019: Critical Environmental Justice (EJ 2.0)

This session is jointly sponsored by the Energy and Environment Specialty
Group (EESG) and the Cultural and Political Ecology (CAPE) Specialty Group.

Critical environmental justice, or EJ 2.0, expands on “first generation” EJ
scholarship by explicitly taking an interdisciplinary, intersectional, and
multi-scalar approach to examining and alleviating disproportionate
exposure to environmental hazards, in a way that deepens the practice of
direct democracy (Carter 2016; Pulido 2017; Pellow 2018). Pellow (2018:223)
suggests that scholars should investigate questions of intersectionality
(in terms of race, class, gender, sexuality, etc.); more readily undertake
multi-scalar analyses of the “causes, consequences, and possible
resolutions of EJ struggles”; examine the degree to which inequality and
power relations, including state power, are perceived as being entrenched;
and better account for the ways in which human and non-human populations
experiencing violence are deemed “expendable”. In this session, we seek
papers that draw on critical race, feminist, anti/post-colonial, queer
theory and beyond to engage with EJ 2.0 conceptually, theoretically, and
empirically. We are particularly interested in interdisciplinary, critical
EJ praxis that incorporates critical physical geography, radical citizen
science, community-based engineering, informal STEM, and other approaches.
We see this session as an opportunity to focus on the content of critical
EJ, as well as to refine our methods and analytical approaches to critical
EJ research.

Please send abstracts or interest in serving on a panel to Erin Goodling (
[log in to unmask]) and Anthony Levenda ([log in to unmask])
by October
12th. We will get back to you by October 15th with more information.

**This session will be organized in collaboration with Dean Hardy and Ellen
Kohl’s session on intersectional environmental justice to be advertised
separately.

Carter, E. D. (2016). Environmental justice 2.0: new Latino
environmentalism in Los Angeles. Local Environment, 21(1), 3-23.

Pellow, D. N. (2018). What is critical environmental justice?. John Wiley &
Sons.

Pulido, L. (2017). Geographies of race and ethnicity II: Environmental
racism, racial capitalism and state-sanctioned violence. Progress in Human
Geography, 41(4), 524-533.