Hi All,

As part of our EMA programme we are looking into whether the My Grades screen can be improved and how other institutions are handling the delivery of online feedback through Blackboard 9.1 to get around the poor interface design. I am interested to know if this is a concern for other institutions and how widespread.

Has anyone had issues reported to them that students are not realising they have feedback on their assessments when looking in My Grades due to the inconsistent way students see they have feedback available using different tools for assessment.

The main complaint we have received is that it is not clear that the title of the assignment is a link to access the feedback and the grade is prioritised.

I’d be interested to know if anyone has:

1.       Found this to be a significant issue for their institution?

2.       Undertaken work to overcome or get around this to present grades and feedback differently to students? (for example, I think UWE has created their own feedback dashboard to centralise access to feedback.)

3.       Developed communications or support that has mitigated the issue?

Examples of the different ways feedback is indicated and accessed:

·         Blackboard assignments – you see the View feedback (speech bubble) if there is text has been entered in the Feedback to Learner field and the View Rubric link if one has been attached. But you need to click on the title of the assignment to see any inline comments added in Box.

·         Bb Tests –  you click on the title of the test to open the ‘View Attempts’ screen and then need to click on the actual Grade of the test to view the feedback on the questions.

·         Turnitin assignment – only the grade is shown and you need to click on the assignment title that takes you to an interim screen called ‘Review Assignment’ from which you need to click on an icon beside ‘My paper’ to open the Feedback Studio. It is then necessary to click the ‘Instructor feedback’ button to make the feedback display.

Thanks in advance for any advice or information

Kind Regards,

Adam Bailey

Senior TEL Advisor

Soane Room G04, Blandford Lodge, Whiteknights Campus, Reading RG6 6AH

[log in to unmask]   |   t: 0118 378 6794   |    @adamrgb

Technology Enhanced Learning, CQSD http://blogs.reading.ac.uk/tel/   |   @UniRdg_TEL

To unsubscribe from the BLACKBOARD-USERGROUP list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=BLACKBOARD-USERGROUP&A=1