Hi Christos,

One of the clinical scientists (trainee?) working at ACE is looking at this for his master's project. He presented at CM this year.

Claire

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018, 17:26 Christos Christoforidis, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I got a telephone call today from the father of one of our MND patients who is now at a stage where she has lost every movement in her body and even eye gaze is becoming unreliable. The father asked me a question that I think I know the answer to, but I promised to him I would ask the group to make sure I am not missing anything.

He asked if there is a way to monitor heart rate and use that measurement to activate a switch. His idea is that if perhaps his daughter can master the skill of controlling her heart rate, for example by feeling excited to increase it and calm to decrease it, she could be able to indicate yes or no. I am not convinced that the heart rate can be adjusted so quickly and multiple times to make it a possible tool for activating a switch, but has anybody heard anything similar to this?

Many thanks.