At the beginning of December, a modest ceremony will be held at the National Archives of Mali in Bamako to celebrate a momentous achievement.

The culmination of a nine-year project, the event will witness the handover of the final batches of about 8,000 digitised Islamic manuscripts collated from libraries and private collections located throughout Djenne, Mali one of the oldest continually inhabited towns in sub-Saharan Africa.

The creation of the digital archive, copies of which will also be held at Djenne’s own manuscript library and at the British Library in London, is the result of the efforts of a local team of Malian archivists, librarians and volunteers, as well as Sophie Sarin, a Swedish textile designer and art historian who has spent the past decade co-ordinating its collation.

http://bit.ly/2Q3rHqz
http://bit.ly/2Q3rHqz+

--
Peterk