The British Records Association is delighted to announce that the joint
winners of the inaugural Janette Harley Prize are Julie Halls and Allison
Martino, for their article “Cloth, Copyright, and Cultural Exchange:
Textile Designs for Export to Africa at The National Archives of the UK”.

The prize was awarded at a reception following the Association’s annual
Maurice Bond Lecture, which was this year held at the Postal Museum in
London. The lecture was given by Dr Anthea Seles, Secretary General of the
International Council on Archives, on the subject of “Trying To See The
Forest For The Trees: Research in the digital age”.

Four further entries for the prize were highly commended. The Chair of the
judging panel, Stephen Freeth, said: “We were delighted with the broad
range of entries. These came from across the archival, academic and local
history community, plus an interesting international element. All were of a
high standard, and we commend everyone for the care they took over their
submissions”.

The prize was established in memory of Janette Harley, a member of the
British Records Association, who died in 2015. It is intended to raise
awareness of research and achievements in the world of archives, and is
awarded for the best, or most original piece of published work which
reflects the aims of the Association: to promote the preservation,
understanding, accessibility and study of our recorded heritage for the
public benefit.

A call for entries to next year’s Janette Harley Prize will be made in
April 2019.

The *British Records Association *is a charity which aims to promote the
preservation, understanding, accessibility and study of our recorded
heritage for the public benefit. It is open to anyone interested in records
and archives. http://www.britishrecordsassociation.org.uk/

Victoria Northwood

Hon Secretary

British Records Association