A recreational mapmaker has received a grant from the D.C. Commission on
the Arts and Humanities to compile a meticulous anthology of all the
tunnels in the District — subway and freight rail tunnels, pedestrian
passageways, underground steam tunnels, sewage and water pipelines, and
every other type of subterranean thoroughfare he can find.

It’s a purely academic exercise, says the mapmaker, Elliot Carter — tunnels
are cool, and there’s fascination in knowing where the abandoned ones are
located.

https://wapo.st/2A16wjc
https://wapo.st/2A16wjc+

--