The web, it turns out, is a fragile place. Companies, governments,
educational institutions, individuals and organizations put up and take
down sites all the time. The problem is that the web has become a system of
record, and when links don’t work because pages no longer exist, the record
is incomplete. With the help of volunteers from Internet Archive, Wikipedia has
been able to recover 9 million broken links and help solve that problem for
at least one knowledge base.

https://tcrn.ch/2E48tzB
https://tcrn.ch/2E48tzB+

--