Dear Sarah,
I bought a very large Durst 507 large format enlarger, with the bellows and lens/plates from RK Photographic for £400 a few years ago and converted it to a copystand, I know a few of us have done this conversion, so it's quite common to reuse old gear.

Anyway, RK have lots of old gear for sale that you can rummage around, so I would think a smaller old enlarger could be procured within your budget, as they sell them without the enlarging lens/bellows to enable easy conversion. The threads are all standard small/large tripod so you just mount a tripod head on the enlarger and away you go.

On the lights, you could use the cheap interfit tungsten lights if they still make them, or search ebay for the cheap Chinese flash units.

I'm sure others will have a view on all this.
Tony

Tony Harris

Digital Media & Photography Manager
Government Art Collection
Queen's Yard, Tottenham Court Road, London, W1T 7PA

www.gac.culture.gov.uk | 020 7211 2426

@govartcol | /govartcol | @govartcol