Cold water swimming causes shaking which releases trauma trapped in the muscles
When we freeze due to fear we don't always shake afterwards to release that fear, like a bird does after it comes round from 'playing dead'
Shaking releases the held stress
RD Laing equates this freezing with Madusa, turning to stone, frozen on the spot

Sent from my iPhone