Dear colleagues,

I would like to inform you about a forthcoming session on complexity and pre-modern cities (see session description below) that will take place at CAA 2019, Krakow (Poland), 23-27 April, (
https://2019.caaconference.org/). The call for papers and posters (https://2019.caaconference.org/call-for-papers/)is OPEN and will remain open until 11:59 PM CET the 10th of October 2018 (Wednesday).

We would be really happy to receive your abstract and see you in Krakow!

All the best,

The organisers,

Eleftheria Paliou, Iza Romanowska, George Artopoulos

S11
Some of the major challenges in the study of ancient urbanism concern change and evolution in cities and settlement structures. How did socio-political organisations move from simple to complex? What triggers urbanism in human societies through time? How do settlements grow and regional centres emerge? How do cities define and transform the local ecosystems and vice versa?

The idea that cities are highly complex systems tied together through interactions between various factors was introduced in urban studies and archaeology many years ago, but it is only in the last decade or so that there have been more consistent efforts to examine this complexity using quantitative and computational tools - the so-called “new science of cities”. This new synthesis of urban studies builds strongly on complexity science, social physics, urban economics, transportation theory, regional science, urban geography and network science. A number of computational tools and methods that have been used by archaeologists fall under this emerging interdisciplinary field, but there are also numerous underused techniques that show high potential for furthering our understanding of past cities.

This session invites papers that seek to examine past cities and urban life as complex phenomena by applying computational methods, for example:

* spatial interaction models;
* settlement scaling;
* space syntax;
* transportation network analysis;
* pedestrian simulation;
* analysis of urban morphology (fractals);
* agent-based modelling.

Or any other digital techniques designed to study interactions, flows, urban dynamics, morphology and scaling. We also welcome papers that use quantitative methods and spatial analysis to interpret urban data, as well theoretical papers that discuss the prospects and challenges of the science of cities in archaeology.

Organisers:

·        Georgios Artopoulos, The Cyprus Institute, Nicosia, Cyprus

·        Eleftheria Paliou, University of Cologne

·        Iza Romanowska, Barcelona Supercomputing Center

To unsubscribe from the SPACESYNTAX list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=SPACESYNTAX&A=1