(+55 61) 2026 5360

De: News and discussion about computer simulation in the social sciences [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Em nome de Batty, Michael
Enviada em: quinta-feira, 13 de setembro de 2018 05:27
Para: [log in to unmask]
Assunto: Re: [SIMSOC] Validating ABMs in the absence of data

Let me respond to Nick who knows the land use models that I refer to here well. Basically the problem is often that our aggregate models where the focus of interest is on the location of aggregates of population and other activities in zones – like census tracts, blocks, output areas and so on – sometimes need to be made consistent with models at a finer scale, particularly transportation. The key issue is how can an aggregate model that we can validate in the usual way for we have detailed data on the aggregates be made consistent with an agent-based model where every household in the aggregate is an agent. The way we have thought about this – we have produced demonstrations – is to define the land use model at the smallest spatial scale we can to make sure that we meet the statistical criterion (of large numbers) that enable us to fit the model using maximum likelihood whatever. Then having got a ‘good fit’, we use this model as a control on the disaggregation of population to the household level – to the agent level using all sort of diverse data that helps us define the actual location of each household. Inevitably error creeps in but then our data set of households is a kind of synthetic data set which we know meets certain control totals and hopefully is sufficiently close to realism to be generally useful in calibrating the agent based model.

We had a go at doing this a few years ago which is briefly alluded to in one paragraph in the attached paper. We are also beginning to think about this again with respect to linking our aggregate land use models to ever more detailed transportation models that operate at the level of households and cars and vehicles like in MATSIM et al.

Mike

Professor Michael Batty CBE FRS FBA
Chairman, Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis (CASA)
University College London
90 Tottenham Court Road, London W1T 4TJ
Tel 44-(0)20 3108 3877 Cell 44-(0)7768 423 656
http://www.complexcity.info/
t @jmichaelbatty