Thank you, James, for that Cheshire connection of the Brigantes. Sidney territory, surely? If you could mutate some more mutanda, we might get an allusion to Elizabeth I and suitors, or at least some power struggles - not from the 1590s, but earlier.

Penny

P.S. For Tom’s comment on the E.K./Spenser relationship: see ‘E.K. was only the postman’, Notes and Queries, March 2000 (47.1), 28-31. It may not have a bearing on his argument, but just for general interest.