Dear Jerry and all,

I like to get a meta view. Therefore, for what it’s worth, Ken’s question was,
<snip>
It seems odd to suggest that scientists do not understand beauty.
Beauty and elegance have long been criteria for scientific theory.

Other criteria are also important if our statements about the world
are to be both true and meaningful. Nevertheless, it seems to me
mistaken to say that scientists fail to understand beauty.
<snip>

The bottom line in Ken’s question for me is for me, whether or not a philosophy of beauty can expand. Why is that so hard?

The replies have been:
1. Threats to invention could be one reason for the claim, “scientists fail to understand beauty" (Hagan)

2. "natural science is not very well equipped to deal with the subjective phenomenon of beauty.” (Richard Herriott)
The notion of subjective vs objective seems critical here. If the underlying philosophy can’t expand to include the objective, embracing Ken’s argument will be difficult.

3. "I have heard about the beauty of this or that theory or solution or representation many, many times. For example, the beauty of this theory is in …”  (Lubomir Savov Popov)
While I’m being reductive, elegance linked to or as a synonym for beauty seems critical here. If theoretical elegance is not part of the philosophy of beauty, it will be difficult for both sides to embrace.

4. The idea that scientists understand beauty needs no language. They show us (Meredith Davis)
If we embrace Meredith’s argument that to see is to know, we might have common ground. But...

5. In responding to Meredith, "I think as an artist Felice Frankel is only adding to the number of phenomena we might find beautiful.
She is acting as an artist in making things of beauty. I don´t think she is addressing beauty.
The phenomenon of beauty is something of an uncrackable nut for science of any sort.  It doesn´t mean we can´t discuss it from loads of angles. It is not reducible to anything else and can only be translated into other terms:” (Richard Herriott)
Richard suggests that the beautiful should not be conflated with a philosophy of beauty, of which Meredith shows one example. The angles are good for discussion, but not the same. As long as science cannot explain the subjective, they will not understand beauty.

6. "If anyone is interested in at least one plausible attempt to crack the nut of beauty, they might look into Denis Dutton, The Art Instinct: Beauty, Pleasure, and Human Evolution (2009), in which he proposes a "Darwinian aesthetics" linking art activities to biological fitness….in discussions of this kind it is important to distinguish between "art" and "beauty," because much contemporary art bears little relation to beauty -- it has other concerns.” (Heidi Overhill)
Our philosophy of beauty needs to embrace our evolutionary past. Only science is equipped to give us this information, which we seem reluctant to delve into, making shared understanding more difficult (and we need to study more completely)

7. David Gray adds to Heidi’s offerings, making additional knowledge the opportunity to solve the problem Ken identifies.

8. I’ll go with the  simple elegance of the Aquinas conception of beauty:  “…pulchrum dicuntur quae visa placent.” “Let that be called beauty, the very perception of which pleases.” (Summa Theologica I-a IIae, q.27)
The response, full of affect, is not however shut out to reason and runs “from raw emotion to intellectual delight.” (Jerry)

Jerry suggests the synthesis of the other responses that Ken might like  one that asks for an expanded definition that embraces subjective, objective, and the elegant, as visual, textual, and symbolic?

The remaining question is, would this synthesis result in a concept that embraces so much, it no longer has value. Should there be philosophies of beauty 1 (subjective) and 2 (objective), or is the larger metaview more fruitful?

Best,

Susan (back to work)