Dear Emman,
This is fabulous and I love how the royalties will also support midwifery.
Such a thoughtful and important contribution. It is on my Amazon watch
list! Thank you for all of your work on this. Best, Kerri Schuiling

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 4:01 AM, Emma Mills (Aneurin Bevan UHB - Maternity)
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> I just wanted to let you know about a book that a colleague and I have
> worked on together, that will be available from the 10th of October.
>
> It’s a collection of positive birth stories from home and MLU areas. The
> idea is to promote confidence in the birth process and redress the negative
> balance in the media (and often horror stories) around birth. It emerged
> from surveys, coffee mornings and general feedback from women and their
> families who felt they wanted to be flooded with calmness and ideas for
> encouraging a positive birth experience. We work in a health board in Wales
> where, like the majority of trusts and HBs across the UK, we are constantly
> looking at ways to reduce our IOL rates and encourage women to make choices
> around birthing outside of an obstetric unit.
>
> The stories talk about the birth environment, birth support partners,
> trusting relationship with care givers, mobility, eating and drinking,
> hypnobirthing, etc., in the women’s own words.
>
> *‘I felt over whelmed, emotional , exhausted and really bloody proud of
> myself’ *
>
> *‘I completely tru**s**ted her in that moment and knew **that she was
> there to keep me safe. What a wonderful connection that is and what a
> difference it makes when birthing a baby’ *
>
> *‘There comes a point where you go into yourself, you really **can’t**
> hear what anyone is saying and you **can’t** bear to be touched. I think
> it’s **n**ature**’**s way of drawing all your senses in so you can cope
> with the task in hand.**’*
>

> Would be so grateful if you could look out for it on Amazon from the 10th
> of October and if you like it, share with women, colleagues and friends.
> Any royalties will be used directly within our midwifery led areas, and
> supporting midwives with hypnobirthing courses etc. For us, it is really
> not about making money, but all about helping women to feel safe,
> supported, calm, positive, reassured and enthusiastic wherever they choose
> to birth. We are keen to reach as many women as possible so that all women
> are aware of their birth choices. The book will be followed by Your Birth-
> Stories from consultant led areas in November/ December to reassure women
> and their families that the care they receive will be skilled, supportive
> and kind wherever they choose to birth ( very much focussing on ways to
> promote physiological birth despite the challenges of culture within OUs,
> continuous monitoring etc.) .
>

> Thanks for your time, would welcome any thoughts or comments from list
> members (appreciate that there is a lot of experience in this group and
> really value your opinions), and just let me know if you are close to South
> Wales and would like to come along to the book launch on the 10th of
> October.
>

> *Kind Regards *
>

> *Emma Mills*
> *Clinical Research Midwife *
> [...]

Kind regards,

Kerri D. Schuiling, PhD, CNM, FACNM, FAAN
Provost & VPAA
Northern MI University
Office: (906) 227-2922
FAX: (906)