Hi all

A friend who is curator of photography at St Andrews University is organising their month-long festival of photography in October, and specifically a two-day conference on stereo photography - see https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/library/specialcollections/news/archive/2018/title,2234206,en.php

It got me thinking about examples of digital delivery of these Victorian stereoviews/stereographs (the ones, in their original analogue state, with the double images that are typically viewed through a handheld or desktop twin-lens wooden viewer - https://www.vam.ac.uk/blog/caring-for-our-collections/stereographs) and I wondered if anyone has examples of innovative ways of displaying them, be it online or in-gallery?

Examples I can immediately think of are:

- simple animated gifs that alternate the left and right images to simulate the effect (otherwise known as wiggling!) - the NYPL still imho leads the field in this with their Stereogranimator where users make the animations from the 20,000+ collection of images in the NYPL collections, or they can use their own images on Flickr -  http://stereo.nypl.org/view/94357

- in-gallery analogue viewers but with a digital screen running a slideshow (IWM has done this, and I've seen something similar in a few other places like the maritime museum in Barcelona)

- full blown projections that require use of dedicated glasses

- bespoke apps / interactives where either the museum supplies the viewing device or the user needs to have there own headset

What I'm especially interested in is anything that has a pretty low barrier to entry, is accessible (in the broadest sense) to as many people as possible, is scalable in terms of image sets, and has a very simple user experience - for example using a mobile and a viewing device like Google Cardboard to display a simple gallery/slideshow that is controlled by head gestures. Of course it should also be both iOS and Android compatible as a minimum. Either open source software that could be adapted, or a free platform that could have a custom image set added to it.

Anyone seen anything great out there?

Aside from this, she's also having a hard job promoting the festival and conference, given limited time and money (and being banned from setting up any official social media accounts herself) so any help/suggestions promoting it, even through a simple tweet and link to https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/library/specialcollections/news/archive/2018/title,2234206,en.php , would be much appreciated!

Cheers, James

---
James Morley

To unsubscribe from the MCG list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=MCG&A=1