Yes, it is all about getting the small details right in survey research and evaluation. I would not advise leaving the tablet at a reception desk without a systematic sampling plan (and detailed instructions and training for the reception staff) in place.

My default approach for visitor surveys is to intercept people on their way in to the site (30 seconds - 2 minutes), following a systematic sampling procedure. People complete a relatively short survey on the way in with a data collector either holding the tablet or handing it over temporarily. Then at the end of the day, they automatically receive a post-visit survey request (with automatic reminders). Observable data are collected on non-respondents by the data collector (called a ‘refusal log’) in order to calculate response rate and identify any systematic sampling bias that may be visible.

In order to do this kind of fundamental quality assurance, a person is needed to administer the initial survey (or you need advance access to people’s details). Without this kind of systematic approach, quantitative claims about visitors cannot legitimately be made (e.g. % of people satisfied with their experience) as the level of sampling bias is unknowable.

Of course, this is challenging when you do not ever have a data collector available, so creative solutions have to be identified. I don’t see how paper survey forms per se make these issues better though (and someone then needs to put the time into typing up the data, there is risk of data entry errors, you cannot use skip logic elegantly, etc.).

Best,
Eric

Dr Eric Jensen, Fellow Higher Education Academy
Associate Professor (Senior Lecturer), Department of Sociology, University of Warwick
http://warwick.academia.edu/EricJensen
Latest book: - Doing Real Research (SAGE): https://us.sagepub.com/en-us/nam/doing-real-research/book241193
Check out a sample chapter here - https://us.sagepub.com/sites/default/files/upm-binaries/73894_Jensen_Chapter_6.pdf

Sociology at the University of Warwick ranked:
The Guardian, Complete University Guide and The Times Good University Guide – 3rd
QS World University Ranking - 23rd