We recently received a communication from a vendor suggesting that they may
soon move away from IP authentication and require individual logins/user
accounts that would, I believe, allow individual users to be identified and
tracked. (I'm not naming the vendor here, mainly because I believe this is
an issue much larger than a single vendor.)

Does anyone know if there are library groups working on the issue of patron
privacy in online environments? I would really like to get involved. As a
profession, we've always valued protecting patron privacy. Not only could
this violate that, but it could do it in a way patrons cannot see or
prevent.

Thank you,

Amelia Mowry
Metadata & Discovery Services Librarian