Dear all

I have been mostly a silent observer on this list for a long time. Have learnt a lot and continue to learn almost every week.

My background is family medicine and medical informatics. I am an academic and a practicing clinician-researcher not only in the academic setting but in my private practice. At the moment I am in Sri Lanka but was in Australia in a academic setting and practicing as a GP for 10 years.

I have a question that I would like to inquire from this forum, related to Vivek's important and timely question

My question -
What knowledge and skills should a practicing full-time clinician (not in academic settings) have to practice evidence based medicine
(especially what knowledge and skills in critical appraisal (CA) should s/he have?)

My personal view is very close to the 2002 BMJ editorial from Gordon Guyatt, which was reiterated in the 25 years oral history JAMA/BMJ  https://ebm.jamanetwork.com/

However, I feel this is not taken notice of and a huge burden of expert knowledge of critical appraisal expertise is being placed on the clinicians and students who are interested in EBP
I am NOT for a moment stating that CA is NOT important. CA is on of the most important aspects that one needs to practice EBM. But how much? what extent?

Thank you all in advance

Kumara Mendis
https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=SCnisRAAAAAJ&hl=en

There’s no limit to what you can accomplish if you don’t care who gets the credit

Bernard Baruch